Friday, January 2, 2015

Snowballs!

Welcome Down Home Friends,
I have snow on my mind. I guess the cold and wet dreary winter weather has me wishing for snow rather than just the cold. Around my house when we talk about snow our conversation always comes back around to...snowballs. In Texas we are more likely to see snowballs in our kitchen rather than outside our windows but we have been known to have a white Christmas and a snow day or two! But in my family our favorite snowballs are the powdered sugar kind. I just had to share this recipe because I love it so much for a few reasons. I appreciate how simple it is to make because I am busy and don't have a lot of time for fussing around. Who has time for fussing around? Who are we kidding? Not a single person has time for that but you do have time to make a simple snowball, right? You will love this recipe too. You make the dough and put it in the refrigerator and let it chill while you take a little break or two... It can stay in the refrigerator for a few days if you really are that busy. This is a perfect holiday cookie because you can make it ahead and bake as needed. Also, these do not have to be perfect and I love that. These get dusted (or in my house covered) in powdered sugar. Just pretend it is a Texas blizzard and when your plate looks like that you will know you have "dusted" them enough. But seriously, in my house, we serve these snowballs on top of a plate of powdered sugar...we like to dredge them in a little more powdered sugar just in case some of it came off when it was sitting on the plate. I know, we are just terrible for that. But I bet you try that too and I swear I won't tell anyone. But before I give you the recipe for my favorite winter cookie, let me give credit where credit is due! This recipe comes from Martha Stewart and yes it is tried and true and you know it is good!
Snowballs!
2 sticks of butter at room temp
2 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of bourbon
2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of chopped pecans
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
In an electric mixer, cream butter and honey until fluffy. Add bourbon and beat to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, sugar and salt. Add to the butter mixture and beat to combine. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 3 hours. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets, Roll the dough 2 teaspoons at a time into balls. Bake 12-13 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and cool. Roll in sugar to coat.

ENJOY! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover