Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Best Coca Cola Cake!

Welcome Down Home Friends,
 I have always loved anything I could make ahead and I especially love anything I can make and take with ease. A sheet cake is always a favorite and serves a lot and better yet, you do not have to have mad skills when frosting it. Transporting anything that is supposed to be pretty is always a challenge and finding the right size or shape of container is yet another. Sheet cakes are simple. Usually you make them in a pan that you can serve them in. Believe it or not, a sheet cake is one perfect dessert to take on a camping trip. Let me explain. It is perfect because you can make it ahead of time and it is easily transported in the pan you bake it in. For this recipe I also serve and store it in the same pan. I like to prep anything I can before we leave so that when I get to the campsite all I have to worry about is having some outdoor fun and spending time with my family. And considering we camp a lot, I have to think outside the box because nobody wants hot dogs and chips every other weekend. When we go camping for a special occasion like a birthday, anniversary or celebrating anything, I try to make it special. And I secretly love setting the table. I set the table at home and in the camper. I have always done it so doing it on the road makes me feel like I am home. Because of the ease of transporting, serving and storing this family favorite that is why it made it's debut on camping trips. This sure is a hit late night while sitting around the campfire!
This Coke cake recipe was contributed by Lee Avery Catts to "Atlanta Cooknotes" and was published by The Junior League of Atlanta. I take no credit for the recipe other than knowing it is good to eat and just perfect for celebrating just about anything around a campfire!

Ingredients

  • 2 Cups sugar
  • 2 Cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Cup Coca-Cola
  • 1 ½ Cups small marshmallows
  • ½ Cups butter or margarine
  • ½ Cups vegetable oil
  • 3 Tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 Teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ Cups buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ Cups butter
  • 3 Tablespoons cocoa
  • 6 Tablespoons Coca-Cola
  • 1 box (16-ounces) confectioners' sugar
  • 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 Cup chopped pecans

Preparation

  • Total Time:hr  15 min
  • Prep Time: 30 min
  • Cook Time: 45 min
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a bowl, sift the sugar and flour.
  3. Add marshmallows.
  4. In a saucepan, mix the butter, oil, cocoa and Coca-Cola. Bring to a boil and pour over dry ingredients; blend well.
  5. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk just before adding to batter along with eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well.
  6. Pour into a well-greased 9- by-13-inch pan and bake 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and frost immediately.

Coca-Cola Cake Frosting

To make frosting, combine the 1/2 cup butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa and 6 tablespoons of Coca-Cola in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and pour over confectioners' sugar, blending well. Add vanilla extract and pecans. Spread over hot cake. When cool, cut into squares and serve. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Pin It button on image hover