Thursday, March 24, 2016

Caprock Canyon State Park!

Hey Down Home Friends,
We recently had the chance to get away to Caprock Canyon State Park in Texas. I had never been and I did not know really what to expect except for a few internet searches and pictures. I was excited to see a part of Texas that I have never seen before.
As we approached the campgrounds, I could see that this was a going to be a great experience. For miles all you could see was beautiful scenery. I didn't know if I should look to the left or to the right. All I knew was that beautiful scenery was beginning to surround us completely. It sure seemed like a great place to spend a long relaxing weekend after a stressful week.
I do not spend too much time looking at the reviews of the places that we travel to because usually we are looking for something different so the ratings do not work for us. I have my own way of rating a campground. It all boils down to this.
Is there good cell service?
Can I get a satellite signal?
Is the scenery interesting?
Is there something to do?
Is there a body of water?
Is the campsite semi private?
You can laugh but those are the important things to me. And Caprock Canyon has all that and more.
One of my favorite things in the campgrounds was the prairie dog town. There were plenty of prairie dogs to see and photograph and listen to. If you stick around for a few minutes you can capture quite a few pictures. I knew I had to get a few to show my class.
We had a chance to have some hearty early morning breakfasts before the sun came up and while we were waiting for the temperature to rise. Even in the middle of March in Texas it can be cold.
There are plenty of trails to hike and plenty of places to stop and get those breathtaking views. Lots of places to take pictures even if you are just driving through.
A small lake is located within the park and it looks like a perfect place to fish or kayak. There were quite a few picnic areas with nice views. And there is plenty of easy access to the water.
If you are lucky you can get that up close shot of one of the bison freely roaming in the park. The state park is the official home to the 80 descendants of the great southern plains bison. It is the perfect place to view a magnificent animal in a natural habitat.
I have been to many Texas state parks and this is on the list of the top five. It was beautiful, interesting and had a lot to offer. You can take a shuttle car and tour the park, visit the nature center, take amazing photography, see animals up close, hike, bike, kayak or enjoy peaceful quiet time at the many spacious campsites. The cell service was great so you can get that perfect shot and post it right away. The satellite signal was good too but we didn't want to watch a late night movie when we had clear skies to view the stars.
Caprock Canyon State Park provided the perfect backdrop for a peaceful weekend to recharge and energize for a busy week ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your amazing pictures on this blog. We're thinking about taking a trip to CCSP and this really helped.
    M.

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover